• Català
  • Castellano
  • English
Regulació Estany des Peix
Media News

Upgrades on two main roads make for changes around Sant Ferran

Foto obres sant ferranThe Formentera Council's Office of Infrastructure and Mobility wishes to announce that due construction work on two streets, carrer Guillem de Montgrí and carrer València, a new car park will be made available from Thursday, December 7. According to department head Rafael González, the 70-vehicle lot will be 75 metres from the arterials' juncture, with access from the nearby roundabout. The idea, assured González, is to minimise the inconveniences caused by the road work and let drivers in Sant Ferran park close to home.

The bus stop that was previously located on avinguda Joan Castelló i Guasch and which provided service to lines L1, L2 and school buses will be moved to the roundabout as well. Rubbish collection will also be suspended on the two thoroughfares and relocated to the roundabout. All part of an effort, González assured, to keep the inconvenience to a minimum.

The changes will remain in effect over the course of the road work, which is scheduled to conclude on May 1.

Christmas holiday season officially under way

Foto nadales 20171The Christmas 2017 kick-off came yesterday in the form of a concert of holiday carols by the children of El Pilar de la Mola and Mestre Lluís Andreu primary schools. “Cantam Nadales” got started in plaça de la Constitució at 5.00pm.

Though scheduled for Friday, the evening performance, together with a tree and decoration lighting ceremony, was delayed due to inclement weather. Attending residents enjoyed complementary hot chocolate the show.

Wet weather was again behind the postponing of the Christmas Market opening. It was pushed back from Friday to Saturday morning. All of Formentera is encouraged to come out for the market. It will be open from 11.00am to 3.00pm and again from 5.00pm to 12 midnight until January 7.

Officials check in on dig at Sant Ferran cemetery

Foto exterior cementeriA team of local and regional officials paid a visit today the site where crews have worked since last Wednesday to locate a Civil War-era gravesite near the Sant Ferran cemetery. Led by the president and vice-president of the Formentera Council, Jaume Ferrer and Susana Labrador, and Manel Santana, head of the Govern's department of democratic participation and memory, and including Formentera's provincial councillor, Sílvia Tur; Senator Bernat Picornell and the local administration's social and community involvement secretaries, Vanessa Parellada Sònia Cardona.

Almudena Garcia-Rubio, the forensic archaeologist and anthropologist who is overseeing the effort, said the crew of experts enlisted in the disinterment have performed four probes in the cemetery; two failed to produce results and the remaining pair are still under way. An additional dig is being conducted just outside the cemetery in a spot where evidence suggests the bodies of the victims of the pro-Franco violence might lie. The driving impulse behind the undertaking is to unearth the remains of five individuals —Jaume Ferrer Ferrer, Josep Ribas Marí, Joan Tur Mayans, Jaume Serra Juan and Vicent Cardona Colomar— killed by firing squad during the Spanish Civil War.

President Ferrer said he was hopeful the bodies would be found, calling their unearthing a “potential pathway to healing for the families”. Manel Santana voiced his appreciation for the efforts of historians like Santi Colomar and Artur Parrón in restoring this part of the collective memory. Even should the attempt to locate the graves proves unsuccessful, “sites like this must be honoured and the acts that transpired there forever remembered,” Santana said, pledging that a bid to highlight Civil War grave sites was in sight.

Funding for the archaeological effort in Sant Ferran is possible thanks to a €16,780 Govern grant for the Eivissa-Formentera memory forum and a €4,000 contribution from the Formentera Council.

Christmas shop window contest enters eleventh year

Fotos be formentera 2n premiThe Formentera Council and the local chamber of commerce handed out prizes today in the island's contest of Christmas shop window displays. For the eleventh year, the administration crowned business-owners for standout efforts to decorate their shop windows, an effort to get out the Christmas spirit this holiday season.

A jury including Enric Riera, a painter and art teacher at Marc Ferrer high school, the CiF culture department's Amalia Mora and Alvaro Mendoza, president of the local artists' association, considered imagination, originality and creativity in the Christmas window displays at the following establishments:

-First prize: Administració de Loteria
-Second prize: Be Formentera
-Third prize: Casa Ortega

Cash prizes —€225 for first place, €150 for second and €75 for third— and plaques were delivered by CiF tourism and trade secretary Alejandra Ferrer and Juan Manuel Costa, president of the island's chamber of commerce.

More Articles...

Page 306 of 399

306

Media

Gabinet de Premsa


971 32 10 87 - Ext: 3181
premsa@conselldeformentera.cat